jueves, 16 de diciembre de 2010

Amoo history (Model)

Article: Classic Pipeline to Create a Character

(See also Amoo for information about production).

In the beggining Amoo`s model wasn`t easy to make, it started (like someone would say) "fooling around" in 3D about August 2004 inside 3ds Max platform which hadn`t disctintive features by itself of actual 3d programs, and the sculpt module wasn`t developed yet. It wasn`t existed something to build somewhat decent but only my will to made her, and it took about three months and one more to give form to a mesh that started out with a cube. It would take pretty time to me to compile all images of this process that I`ve taken from the precept of genetic algorithms (just using my criteria of genetic algorithm), which I will explain it later in an interesting topic called `genetic algorithm pipeline`.

My concept model

Amoo version alpha

This pic shows Amoo`s model in her very firsts steps. After about 100 essays with my starting cube (about a year after my first session). Main modeling process featured in 3ds Max was to move down vert by vert. With the time this process was started with a speed increment of editions thanks to proportional edit feature.

Then, lot of time after improving my modeling performance I decided to get a more flexible 3d suite cause 3ds Max still had troubles in the process, time process, lot of things and mainly for troubles in data format so I wanted to get a tool that help me up instead screw me out. I found blender and I could export it out and started to edit it.

Mastering 3ds Max... but with an exotic weird topology....how in heaven could I even think I was master in Max???

Amoo alpha model exported to blender and afterwards it was refinated

In process of learn again 3d modeling I was still modeling in 3ds max.

Then when I was ready to go in blender my Amoo model begun to have improved features

So after about 3 or 4 years from the start, Amoo beta version appeared. Face topology from this beta version (actually with 936 vertices -cheap resolution-)

I started then with blender particle system.

Render and blur with photoshop

Refining the model in blender. Improving T pose for better model deformation. Applying vertex paint and improving surfaces. But still this model was a beta version

Rigging the model using my rig criteria...some of these rig features are good.

Applying hair mesh (not a render). Model still in beta version.

Accumulative surfaces by vertex and edge increments (for me, before sculptris voxel method and multires sculpt, this is one of the best modeling methods of a specific surface via subsurf mesh, )

Amoo v6 with improvements in proportions. Rig and model were still incompatibles

After lot of improvements this model ironically would decrease its quality with the time, I thought was bad topology that for god sake I couldn't to improve.....what could I do?. Retopology tools........that`s what I did, I got some topology references for this purpose and then I got a smooth model.......but.........

Amoo v9 topology, result of copying topology from different artists. So naturally, this version was a failed version, note the lack of vertices

Improving topology, some mad issues about this damn brand topology.....shooooot!!!!

OK, this is a try of beauty mask.


Amoo v9 with some bad issues in uv mapping

Render with Blender 2.49, there are weird issues in hair mesh for this blender version

Good News (Dec 17, 2010):


Amoo v10.03

After 1 year later a totally rebuilted mesh of Amoo. These are the improvements

  • Several patches of good edge loops over and over new retopo surfaces
  • Decent medium resolution mesh
  • Topology ready for animation with fixed features
I`ll post some more details............wait..................

More Updates


Amoo version 12

Amoo with SSS shader


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario